Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday at the Table: Home Made Bread, and my Fractal Quilt


I don't consider myself a very creative chef, but I'm pretty good at following recipes!  I'm glad that Debbie at "A Quilter's Table" hosts Tuesday at the Table, because it gives me a chance, as a non-food blogger, to write about food every now and then!  Be sure to click on the link to see what other mostly quilters are cooking!

One of our favorite bread recipes is the baguette recipe from "The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook", by Tom Lacalamita.  I use our bread machine mostly for making bread dough and pizza dough.  I use it so much, though, that I've worn out a bread pan already, and the 2nd one is on it's last legs, but the machine still works great (an old "Breadman" brand machine)!

For a regular loaf, use 1 1/4 cups water, a teaspoon of lemon juice, add 3 cups of flour, 2 tablespoons of medium rye flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast.  Make the dough using the dough cycle.  I also add several tablespoons of poppy and sesame seeds at the beginning of the cycle, and several tablespoons of raw pumpkin and sesame seeds at the end of the cycle (so they don't get all broken up).

I take the dough out, roll it out flat, then roll it up in a "cigar" shape, that I place in my lovely ceramic loaf pan (well oiled).  Let it rise until double, then bake in a 425 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes, until done.  Enjoy!!

One last thing I wanted to share is my "Fractal Quilt" top that I finished up yesterday, just in time to add to the Tula Pink Sew Along.  I used her "Raven Lace" fabric from the "Nightshade" line (one of my favorites). 

Fractals is a math / science term, that I recently learned about.  It is a pattern that occurs in nature.  If you do a Google image search of "Fractal art", you'll see some pretty amazing things!  I've had this quilt in my brain and roughly sketched out on paper for a while now, and this was the perfect opportunity to create it.  Be sure to check out all of the other lovely creations at the sew along, and the food posts on Debbie's blog!!


2 comments:

  1. mmm. It's been too long since I've made homemade bread - always a treat!! Thanks for sharing AND linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread recipe looks so good! I made some bread last week, it taste good, but the shape was too wide. Your little bread loaf pan is what I needed! I'm starting to get into ceramics.....l'll try and make one. Did you make that yourself? It's very pretty.....I love pottery as much as quilts! I also used flour for bread making and it seemed to make he dough very elastic....which made it hard to shape? Do you just used regular all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete