Sunday, March 3, 2013

March UFO Goal: Organic Chemistry Quilt


For March's "A Lovely Year of Finishes" over at Fiber of All Sorts, I've not only chosen my hardest and oldest, UFO, but also the one I most want finished.  It got "stuck" almost 2 years ago, when I failed to finish it in time for the Modern Quilt Guild's "Organic challenge".
Another reason it got "stuck" is because I have no idea how to quilt it.  I worked so hard on the embroidery that I really don't want to quilt over it, but it takes up so much space that I can't leave it all open.

I'm open to any and all ideas on this one! I've thought about an all over hexagon / chicken wire patter, or some FMQ-ed hexagons in both the organic rings, and in the open space (maybe in different colored thread), or maybe even just tying or tacking it evenly instead of quilting it. I just really don't want the embroidery to get distorted, and have never done a quilt like this.

I'm also thinking about adding some random fabric hexagons and pentagons here and there to add more color to the quilt.  There is just something not quite right with it, but I can't put a finger on it. It's one of those quilts that seemed better on paper than in practice...

The back is done, and borders all cut out, so all that's left is sewing the borders on, and pinning it and quilting it.

I know that once Spring gets going full tilt I'll be slowing down in the sewing room and spending much more time outside, so I really GOT to get this done!!


Speaking of my sewing room, here are the shelves that my husband made and just installed about an hour ago!  The stain on them is still a bit tacky and needs some time to dry, but otherwise I'm finally able to put all of my sewing things in one room, for the first time in over 3 years!! Yipee!!


4 comments:

  1. Hello from another Oregon quilter/blogger! I LOVE your chemistry quilt! I would do an all-over pattern in the same color as your fabric, so it blends in and isn't too distracting from your awesome designs. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of hexagons... for the quilting. Outline (stitch in the ditch and a bit smaller inside) the chemical chain. Can you outline the embroidery chemical name in a cloud (bubble in the outline of a bunch of hexagons stacked and chained to form and irregular grouping)? and an outline of a hexagon... for the rest of the embroidered chain? Then you could use straight line quilting in the remaining open areas? Not sure this makes sense but maybe will get your mind flowing in a new direction...

    The shelves are a great addition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Connie and Beth on this one, Becky. The background isn't as stark as you might think, and quilting with white-on-white will do the job without distracting from the embroidered text. Beth's ideas for the quilting are very good -- echoing the pattern of an organic compound in stitch. Also, you might try attaching your borders and seeing whether or not adding a few applique hexagons (again, echoing a compound structure) either on the borders or randomly over the seam between white background and borders would appeal. Also consider quilting the borders in hexie fashion...

    Just some thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is so much fun. I can't wait to see what you do to finish it with your awesome quilting.

    ReplyDelete