Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday Finish and Fun With Science at the CREHST Museum


Here it is, my "Purple Haze Bento Box" Quilt!  I actually finished it a week early, and hope to drop it off at a local quilt shop for our local lavender festival quilt show.  It's not one of my all time favorite quilts, but I really enjoyed making it, and other than the yard of lavender fabric and a few fat quarters, I used all stash fabric and scraps.  It's 60 by 60 inches, a nice easy size to make!

Here's the back!!  You can see more details in this post.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put the required 4 inch sleeve on the quilt when I sewed the binding on.  I really don't like sleeves, and having to add one after the binding is on, is not going to be too much fun, but I'll do it.  Maybe I can do some really loose hand sewing, then take it off afterwards.  I discovered by accident that the top part of an old sheet makes an excellent sleeve, so maybe I'll dig through some of my vintage sheet fabric left-overs...

I also thought I'd share a quick fun science video I took with boys this week.  We went to a hidden jewel near our town, the CREHST museum.  It's our favorite, and is all about the Hanford Nuclear Test site in nearby Richland, WA.  It also has some natural history and tons of hands-on displays.  The docents there are mostly retired nuclear workers!  How amazing is THAT?!  If you're ever in the area, stop by!  It is hard to find, and very unassuming from the outside, but it's pretty amazing what they pack into this place!
Here's my favorite display.  You put sand grains on a metal plate that's attached to vibrate at frequencies that you control with a dial.  The patterns that emerge are AMAZING!  I really could have stood there for hours!!

I think quilters all really love patterns, of any type or form!!  I hope you all have a great week-end!

No comments:

Post a Comment