Monday, November 5, 2012

Fire Escape Finish and Sewing With Friends


Over the week-end, I finished my "Fire Escape" Quilt!!  It was used last night by its new owner, my youngest son.  He's scored recently with the binary curtains, and this new quilt, so it's time to start something for my older son now!!

I started this quilt over 2 years ago, when I did my first ever shop hop.  I wanted a "plan", so bought a pattern (Fire Escape from Atkinson Design) at one shop, and each of the other fabrics at all of the different shops I visited.  I sewed up the top quickly, but then it got put away.  I've discovered over the years, that when I make up a quilt from someone else's pattern, I'm really not as motivated to get it done as I am with one of my own designs.  I think that's one reason it's stayed a UFO for so long.  It's done though, and I'm very happy about that!!  The double batting in it, makes it really nice, thick and warm!

Over the week-end I also did some sewing with fellow blogger, Shanna, of "Fiber of All Sorts".  She's just launched a few more social media "pages", so go take a look and follow along with her!  We "met" on line during Gen X Quilter's Kona color swap a few years ago, quickly realized we both not only lived in Eastern Oregon (a very sparsely populated area), but also live in the same town, and same neighborhood!  We met for coffee, and have been in-life friends ever since!  It's SEW much fun sewing with a pal!!

I spent most of our short time together fussy cutting these squares out for the swap blocks I'll be making over the next few months.  I'm now WAY ahead of schedule, and my emotional battery is recharged!!

When I was cutting out the gnome squirrel, I was also working with Tula Pink's squirrels from The Birds and The Bees line.  I couldn't resist taking a picture of the 2 together!  I only bought a fat quarter of the Tula Pink fabric, and fussy cut it as best as I could to get the maximum of 4, 8 inch squares for my quilt, so the nose got a bit lost in the seams.  Do you think the gnome squirrel is mocking its Tula Pink cousin?  LOL

2 comments:

  1. Cute! The way you've put them together in the bottom photo, it looks like the squirrel is trying to re-attach his nose and pick up a lantern! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to have someone right here! And with the fun times I'm having with a teen I may need to sew MORE MORE MORE. How you do this with 2 boys is beyond me. ♥

    ReplyDelete