Monday, January 28, 2013

Ombré Quilt Finish!

Over the week-end, I was able to finish up my Ombré Quilt with plenty of time to spare.  I spent much of Saturday at a swim meet, and most of Sunday cleaning and organizing, so I'm a bit late blogging about it...

It was created for Project Quilting's second 2013 challenge, making a project with white and one other color.  I originally wanted to make a full size bed quilt, with the only scrap bin that was overflowing, my blue bin.  After spending a few hours ironing and cutting out squares, I decided that there was no way I'd meet the deadline.  I was cutting out 4 inch squares, so I turned to my smaller than 4 inch squares, and downsized.  This quilt is only 22 by 17 inches, made up entirely of finished 1.25 inch half square triangles.

I've been wanting to make an ombré quilt for several months now, and this was the perfect opportunity.  I LOVE the color gradations in "ombré".  It reminds me of nature... water at a beach, sunrise and sunset, Spring and Fall leaves...

I also enjoy trying out new techniques with these challenges... the short time and small projects are a perfect opportunity!  I made an invisible binding based on this tutorial that I saw on Felicity Quilt's blog a while back. I LOVE the result, and will for sure be doing this again!!

As usual, I used 50 weight Aurifil thread to piece the quilt.  I rarely use anything else these days for piecing.  I like a heavier 40 weight thread for quilting, but in this case, decided that the 50 weight looked better, and with my new Janome that quilts with any thread I put into her, I was able to do all of the quilting with my Aurifil thread!!  I made simple "waves" across the quilt, as this reminds me of water. I can not tell you how happy I am to finally be able to use any type or brand of thread to free motion quilt!!

I am starting to build up a small collection of Aurifil thread, and since the spools are taller, I also spent a bit of time this week-end making up another thread rack to hold them :-).  I used the same method outlined in my tutorial last summer, using the 4 inch pegs.

This week, I'm hoping to finish up my quilt for Shanna's "A Lovely Year of Finishes" link up, and the will be looking forward to PQ challenge #3!


  1. The facing vs. binding is a great choice for this beautiful quilt. Thanks for the shoutout too! :)

  2. That facing was the perfect finish. A delightful little quilt!

  3. Amazing job! Looks great - and I have to check out that invisible binding technique!

  4. I really like this! Those blocks are teeny but the effect is so worth it.

  5. This quilt is lovely. I like that you tried a new binding. I am learning new things each time too.